Deadline: 07 August 2022
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Technical Senior Officer – Environmental in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
UNOPS mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure, and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Key Job Responsibilities
The Technical Senior Officer – Environmental will the following functions:
- Technical Advice during Project implementation
- Work closely with SACEP and PIU and provide technical inputs to ensure quality of call for proposals;
- Provide substantive support and technical inputs to SACEP and PIU during shortlisting (including: technical evaluation, feasibility evaluation, assessment of ToC, underlying assumptions, extended outcomes, capacity of Grantees to deliver);
- Provide quality technical inputs to necessary documentation related to shortlisted proposals for SACEPS PIU/’s submission to respective RBG Selection Committees;
- Provide technical advice and inputs to SACEP and PIU during elaboration of full proposals;
- Provide support and make recommendations to SACEP and PIU in evaluating proposals and making recommendations to internal Governance structures of SACEP;
- Support SACEP and PIU in reviewing Grantees narrative reports;
- Provide technical inputs to other narrative reports and submitting to SACEP and PIU periodically;
- Provide support make recommendations to SACEP and PIU during the entire process of grant implementation;
- Provide support during Project periodic evaluations and assessment;
- Support SACEP and PIU in periodic field visits.
- Knowledge Management
- Review the local regulatory requirements as well requirements emerging from and/or donor agency safeguards frameworks and policies
- Support SACEP and PIU in harnessing latest available knowledge on addressing plastic pollution
- Provide support to PIU and SACEP on periodic review and update of the Project Operational Manual and to reflect best practices;
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Identify project environmental impacts and risks
- Working in close collaboration with PIU/ SACEP teams and build collaborative team spirit;
- Support the International Project Manager and SACEP/ PIU to respond to relevant queries; extract and analyze information accordingly;
- Prepare inputs such as talking points, slide decks, blog entries and other type of informational/operational demands in coordination with other team members;
- Contribute to identifying Risk, Lessons Learned and Issues;
- Perform other responsibilities as may from time to time be requested by the International Project Manager.
Applicants must have:
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in a relevant subject, preferably such as Environmental Science, Natural Science, Environmental Engineering, Sustainability or Environmental Management is required.
- An additional 2 year’s of relevant work experience in combination with a relevant first university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in environmental management and environmental monitoring (environmental assessments, risk-based assessments, implementation) is required, specifically in one (or more) of the following areas:
- pollution prevention, waste and hazardous materials management, water conservation, resource efficiency;
- biodiversity, ecosystems and sustainable natural resources management.
- Knowledge and working experience with the World Bank ESF and/or UN Model Approach is an asset.
- Experience with drafting impact assessments and plans is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Full working knowledge of one or more of the local languages is desirable.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit their applications through online process.
For more information, visit UNOPS.